18 January 2015 – this week’s post-2015 digest (which will be renamed the SDG Delivery Update from next week) provides a compilation of news, opinion, reports, and events on the post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals and related processes.
REPORTS AND PROPOSALS
· ICLEI: Cities and the Sustainable Development Goals. This briefing sheet documents cities’ and local governments’ role in and importance to successful SDG implementation. It cites the growing proportion of the world’s population living in urban areas, cities’ contribution to global GDP, and goes on to outline six reasons for how and why the Goals are relevant to local communities and subnational governments. The full series of briefings, covering both climate and SDGs, is available here.
· James Mackie and Matthias Deneckere (ECDPM): Challenges for Africa-EU Relations in 2016: Galvanising action for the Global Goals. This paper looks at challenges posed by the “post-2015 package” and identifies opportunities in 2016 to map the road towards SDG implementation at global, African and EU levels. Looking at Africa, the paper examines economic issues such as domestic resource mobilization and involving the private sector, and charts Africa’s road to meeting both the 2030 Agenda and the African Union’s Agenda 2063. In Europe, the paper explores how the EU can adapt its policy toolbox to deliver on 2030 commitments, fine-tuning ODA and reviewing the implications of a universal agenda.
· UNCTAD: Harnessing Emerging Technological Breakthroughs for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This policy brief describes an approach to utilize the evolving innovation and technology landscape to deliver policy responses required to achieve prosperity for people and planet. It calls for effective partnerships; ensuring that revenue lost to automation does not lead to a struggle to maintain social policy; capturing broad benefits yielded by technology improvements; and facilitating inclusiveness via technology transfer.
RECENT CONFERENCES AND MEETINGS
· Third meeting of the High-level Group for Partnership, Coordination and Capacity-Building for post-2015 monitoring (HLG). This meeting, held 14-15 January 2016 at the UN Headquarters in New York, reviewed the mandate and working mechanisms of the group, discussed strategies for implementing the SDG indicator framework, and identified next steps in the HLG’s work program for 2016.
· The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: Transforming Japan and the World. This symposium, organized by UN University’s Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) and Keio University, and held 15 January 2016, highlighted outcomes from the project, “Sustainability Transformation beyond 2015,” discussing how the SDGs may be implemented and reviewed.
NEWS AND BLOGS
· Paula Lucci and Moizza Sarwar (ODI) in Global Policy Journal. "Will the SDGs influence domestic policy? Some lessons from the MDGs."
· Zeenat Niazi (Development Alternatives) on Alternate Perspectives. "Measuring what matters – towards a relevant and effective framework for sustainable development indicators."
· Rosemary Kalapurakal on UNDP’s blog. "A new, ambitious vision requires new, ambitious ways of working."
· Helen Clark (UNDP) and Filippo Grandi (UNHCR) on Project Syndicate. "Leave No Refugee Behind."
· IISD News. "Panel Emphasizes Ethics in SDG Implementation."
· Anne-Lise Klausen on the World Bank’s blog. "Making the 2030 sustainable development agenda work for fragile and conflict affected states."
· Veronique Swinkels (BBK/Powered by Friendship) on Sustainable Brands. "The Key to Achieving the SDGs? Transform the Global Goals Into Local Goals."
· Don Pramudwinai (Minister of Foreign Affairs, Thailand) with a speech excerpt in the Bangkok Post. "Thailand ready to promote SDGs."
· Alberto Leny on SciDev. "Why SDGs could transform Africa."
· Josephine Malonza (University of Rwanda) in All Africa. "Rwanda: Re-Thinking the Indicators of SDG, a Case of Urban Design."
· Sarah Degnan Kambou and Lyric Thompson (International Center for Research on Women) on the Council on Foreign Relations’ blog. "The Business Case for Equality in the SDGs."
· Biodiversity International. "Kick the Silos to Tackle SDGs."
· Paloma Durán (SDG Fund at UNDP) in IPS News. "The Role of SDGs in Achieving Zero Hunger."
· Busani Sibindi (Save Matebeleland Coalition, Zimbabwe) on Together 2030. "Good governance: a pillar in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Agenda."
· Compilation of documents on IISD News. "CSOs Reflect on Early Implementation of SDGs, Indicators, Accountability."
This digest is compiled by WRI, a member of IRF2015 — a collaboration of 10 international research institutions providing critical thinking, integrated analysis and awareness raising for a post-2015 development agenda. We welcome submissions of any material that you would like to see included in this digest. Please e-mail Adam Fishman (firstname.lastname@example.org) with suggestions, questions or comments. To subscribe to this weekly digest, along with other WRI newsletters, please visit this sign-up page on WRI’s website.